Banana Bread/Banana muffin
A great and delicious way to use up overripe bananas. Banana Bread/Banana Muffin is moist, dense and flavourful. I love it when I can salvage a ingredient otherwise headed for the bin. For this bread, those bananas really need to be overripe for the flavour to be bold and the bread sweet. Overripe bananas can also be used in making puff-puff or banana pancakes.
Different types of nuts can be added to banana bread/banana muffin or sprinkled on top to give a bit of crunch to the muffin e.g. Peanuts, cashew nuts, walnuts etc.
- Do not overmix Banana bread/banana muffin batter, once the dry ingredients are moistened, stop mixing, or you will end up with a tough, heavy, flat and crumbly Muffin.
- I prefer to use either a wooden spoon or a balloon whisk as against an electric mixer in order to control my mixing.
- Also know that lumps are good, they are part of what gives muffins their lumpy crust.
To make the Banana bread/banana Muffin:
3 or 4 very ripe bananas 1½ cups flour 1 teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 1∕3 cup butter, melted ¾ cup sugar 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 1 tablespoon rum, optional
Preheat oven to 180°C, brush 12 muffin cups or one 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter or oil or use paper liners.
Peel and mash bananas in a bowl with a wooden spoon or potato masher, leaving some chunks.
In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
To the banana, add melted butter, sugar, egg, vanilla essence, and rum, mix very well.
Stir in flour mixture till just combined.
Fill the muffin cups up to two third full (sprinkle chopped nuts on top). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
If using a loaf pan, bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or till a wooden skewer inserted in the middle, comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. This will be a Banana bread.
Enjoy your muffin with a cup of tea, coffee, afterglow mocktail, or any other drink.
- To give your banana muffin a delicious twist, use 3 tablespoons butter + 3 tablespoons peanut butter (or cashew butter) to replace the 6 tablespoons butter.
- The beautiful thing about this recipe is, it can be used for muffins or turned into a Banana bread by just changing the baking pan to a loaf pan and increasing the baking time.
- Sweet potato muffins - The Pretend Chef - […] You should also try my Cinnamon muffins, Plantain muffins, egg muffins and Banana bread muffins. […]
- Plantain Mosa - The Pretend Chef - […] joy of salvaging ingredients that would otherwise have been thrown away, like bananas in banana bread/banana muffin, or plantains…
- Plantain muffins Plantain bread - The Pretend Chef - […] fact, I wanted something new. So the thought came, if they were bananas I would have rustled up banana…