Red Velvet cake
Luscious ruby red velvet cake is very moist, tender and fluffy. It’s not too sweet rather more like chocolaty sweet with a mild tang from the buttermilk.
Buttermilk is easy to make on your own see here.
To make red velvet cake
½ cup butter 1½ cups sugar 2 eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla essence 2½ cups flour 3 tablespoons cocoa powder 1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons red food colour 1 cup buttermilk 1 teaspoon vinegar 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180°C, brush a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or oil and lightly sprinkle with flour.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggs and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, and salt until well combined.
- Beat flour mixture into butter mixture, add buttermilk and red food colour and mix well.
- In a small cup pour vinegar, add baking soda, it will foam vigorously, pour immediately into the cake batter, stir and pour into the prepared pan.
- Level the top and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre, comes out clean. Cool cake for 10 minutes in the cake pan, turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
FILLINGS AND FROSTINGS: Cream cheese frosting, roux frosting, buttercream, fondant etc.
STORAGE: In the refrigerator, covered, the cake will keep well for about 3 days, in the freezer, wrapped in a heavy-duty plastic wrap or aluminium foil, will be good for 4 to 6 months.
Do you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below.
Subscribe to the blog for instant notifications of new recipes.
Please share this recipe using the share buttons.
- Valentine's day - The Pretend Chef - […] Red velvet cake …