Lassi is a popular Indian drink made with yoghurt. Mango lassi is like a mango smoothie, it is thick, smooth, creamy and insanely delicious. I never ever have any guilty feelings when I down glass after glass of this drink. It has fruit, yoghurt and spice, this to me spells healthy. Okay, caution just one or two glasses a day should do.
Lassi can be made and refrigerated for upto 24 hours.
Use a sweet specie of mango for ultimate goodness, or you can use tinned mango pulp, though it lacks the acidity and depth of flavour the natural fruit has. Mango can be replaced with Pawpaw (papaya) or banana.
Sweetening of mango lassi is purely optional, I prefer to use honey especially if I am using fresh, organic mangoes because it adds a natural sweetness to the drink. You can also use sugar.
Instead of cardamom, you can sprinkle dry fruits (currants, raisins etc), nuts or desiccated coconut.
For the level of satisfaction you get from mango lassi, it is unbelievably easy and quick to make.
To make Mango Lassi:
1½ cups peeled and de-seeded ripe mango 1½ cups plain yogurt ½ cup orange juice (fresh or packet) or cold water 2 tablespoons honey or 1 tablespoon sugar ½ teaspoon ground cardamom Ice cube
Cut up the flesh of the mango.
Combine mango, yoghurt, orange juice, honey, cardamom and ice cube in a blender.
Puree till the mixture is smooth and frothy.
Fill tall glasses and serve.
Let us know how much you loved the mango lassi in the comments below. Also, have you tried using pawpaw (papaya) or banana?
- Kunnu Aya, Tiger nut milk - The Pretend Chef - […] You will also enjoy my healthy beetroot juice, cucumber agua fresca or mango lassi. […]
- Nigerian fish pie - The Pretend Chef - […] with a drink of your choice, you can try my Zobo drink, Mango Lassi, Healthy beetroot juice, refreshing Afterglow…
- Asun spicy goat meat - The Pretend Chef - […] Enjoy your Asun spicy goat meat with a delicious mocktail like Healthy beetroot juice, cucumber juice or tame the…
- Boiled Egg sandwich - The Pretend Chef - […] with chilled zobo drink, chapman, tea, coffee, cocoa or chocolate drink, mango lassi, soda […]
- OJOJO Water yam fritters - The Pretend Chef - […] can be served with a hot pepper sauce, pap, custard, chocolate syrup or a refreshing drink like mango lassi…
- Plantain muffins Plantain bread - The Pretend Chef - […] your plantain bread/muffins with a drink eg. beetroot juice, zobo, tea, coffee, mango lassi or custard […]
- Cucumber drink Cucumber agua fresca - The Pretend Chef - […] your drink. You can also try other tasty drinks like the mango lassi, beetroot mocktail, zobo drink, afterglow mocktail…
- Nigerian Fish roll - The Pretend Chef - […] Nigerian Fish Roll with any of these refreshing drinks, beetroot juice, afterglow mocktail, mango lassi, zobo (sorrel), or tea, coffee…
- Cooked beetroot cake - The Pretend Chef - […] with a glass of Healthy beetroot juice mocktail, mango lassi, zobo […]
- Easy Stir fry Abacha (African salad) - The Pretend Chef - […] off the heat, garnish and serve with drinks of your choice, mango lassi, beetroot juice, a mocktail […]
- Sweet potato muffins - The Pretend Chef - […] with coffee, tea, zobo, mango lassi, afterglow mocktail, delicious beetroot juice or any drink of […]
- Indian coconut ladoo - The Pretend Chef - […] Serve with a mango lassi. […]
- Nigerian Coconut Rice - The Pretend Chef - […] Serve with Yaji spiced goat meat and fried plantains or mango salsa and fried goat meat, with a glass of…