In this Beetroot coleslaw, the trio of cabbage, carrot, and beetroot is health food supercharged. Beetroots have surely joined the list of superfoods. They are sweet, earthy and crunchy. My vegan and health food chefs, this is a toast to you. It is pretty to behold and tastes as pretty as it looks. Imagine having this platter on your dinner table.
Mix your slaw and put in the refrigerator to chill, if you are making your slaw hours ahead of serving, do not add the shredded beetroot right away. Mix it in just before serving. If left for too long, the beetroot will colour the other ingredients. This is not a bad thing, but the whole tricolour effect will be greatly diminished and this tri-colour is part of the beauty.
- Shredded apple
- Chopped cucumber
- Dry fruits or nuts e.g raisins, peanuts, walnuts, pistachio nuts and sesame seeds (Beni seed, Ridi).
I have included the recipe for a very simple dressing that ties the vegetables together.
To make beetroot coleslaw:
1 cup grated beetroot 1 cup grated carrot 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage 1 small spring onions or (2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow or white onions)
To make dressing for beetroot slaw:
1 tablespoon honey 1/8 teaspoon ginger powder pinch of chilli pepper
Wash and peel beetroot and carrot.
Grate beetroot and carrot with a grater or a food processor.
Wash and slice cabbage.
Finely chop spring onions, yellow or white onions.
Mix vegetables in a bowl, reserving the green part of the spring onions.
Set aside the beetroot coleslaw in the refrigerator.
In a small bowl, mix together, honey, ginger and chilli pepper.
Pour over the beetroot coleslaw and toss well. Put in a platter and sprinkle with the greens of spring onions, nuts or dry fruit.
- Always chill beetroot coleslaw before serving. It tastes much better.
Do you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below.
Share this recipe using the share buttons. Subscribe to the blog for instant notifications of new recipes.
- Moist Carrot cake - The Pretend Chef - […] The sight of fresh carrots always make me want to buy them. There is something attractive and appealing about…
- Coleslaw - The Pretend Chef - […] you can use when you want to make your own, like sweet apples, onions, red cabbage, raw beetroot (beetroot…
- Healthy Beetroot cake - The Pretend Chef - […] Beets are crunchy and have a lovely earthy flavour, though some people say it tastes like dirt … but…