The riper the plantains the sweeter they taste. This is one of those times we rejoice that our fresh produce is on the verge of spoiling, so what do we do with those overripe plantains? Plantain mosa. Deep fried dough sweetened with mashed overripe plantains.
It is a street food and a party finger food in Nigeria. Plantain Mosa is similar to the Ghanaian Tamale, the only difference is in the spices used.
The joy of salvaging ingredients that would otherwise have been thrown away, like bananas in banana bread/banana muffin, or plantains again in plantain bread/plantain muffin. You will also enjoy them.
To make Plantain Mosa:
2 overripe Plantains 1 cup plain flour 1 scotch bonnet (Ata rodo, fresh pepper) 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions (optional) 1 teaspoon salt vegetable oil for deep frying
Wash, peel and cut up the over ripe plantain.
Place in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
Leave some small bits of plantain unmashed, it gives the mosa some texture and when you bite into it, they are like soft caramel bits.
Finely chop the scotch bonnet and onions, add to the plantain mash.
Add salt and flour, stir to mix very well.
(Notice the tiny yellow bits of unmashed plantains)
Place your pan of oil on medium low flame, allow to heat up to about 170 ℃.
Using the tips of your finger or a small spoon, drop balls of batter into the oil.
Do not over crowd.
They should drop and float up to the top immediately.
Fry till browned. Drain into a plate lined with paper towels.
- A food processor can be used to mash your plantains but you stand the risk of over-processing it and losing those delicious bits.
- If you use a blender, you will need to add water to the plantain in order to grind it, which will give you a flat plantain pancake and not a ball. Unless that is what you want.
- Do not overcrowd the oil when frying your plantain mosa. Overcrowding drops the temperature of the oil thereby, making the mosa soak up too much oil.
Do you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below.
Subscribe to the blog for instant notifications of new recipes.
Please share this recipe using the share buttons.
- Ukpo Ogede-Nigerian Plantain pudding - The Pretend Chef - […] uses of overripe plantain include plantain bread/muffins, plantain mosa […]
- Plantain muffins Plantain bread - The Pretend Chef - […] had to think of what to use them for. I wasn’t in the mood for plantain pudding (ukpo ogede),…